Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Savvy Studying – The Shariah Way!








Fatima Haffejee – Cii Radio | 17 October 2014/24 Dhul Hijjah 1435


I recently saw a video by a regular You-tuber who played out the scenario of a student who doesn’t bother studying before the exam and then prays fervently when the test paper is placed in front of him, in the hope that he’d suddenly know all the answers without having bothered to study.


The fact that this is true of so many students made my laugh even more meaningful. While the hilarity of it is evident, that this is a reality, is concerning. On a personal note, I love the aspect of being able to learn something new on a continuous basis, which is why, I consider myself a perpetual student of life.


However, like every other student, I dread having to face an exam. Not only is it time consuming, but there’s all that effort to cram a million and one bytes of information into my ‘ever-so-forgetful’ brain in the hope that said information will be retained for the duration of the test.


I’m not always as lucky.


But luck has nothing to do with it. Studying for an exam, requires a certain amount of pre-planning, and depending on the subject, a whole lot of sacrifice.


If you’re not as study savvy here’s some tips to get you through:




1. Set your priorities


Your mother may constantly be on your case about studying but if you having decided this is important for you, you won’t really take heed to her words.


Align your priorities and figure out why this is important to you. If you’re in matric you would know that your results are a determination of your potential career choices, and you could be a source of your own limitation. School-going students still have the guidance of their teachers, however, varsity is a whole different ball game. Unless you form a study group you’re generally on your own.


Onislam.net says that success in Islam is based on two things: Asking for help from Allah, and working hard and being dedicated.
2. Schedule a time


There is absolutely no point in setting your alarm for 2:00 AM when frankly, you’re no good at studying without a full nights rest. I know of people who can stay up the whole night studying, and in honesty, I’m not one of them. I prefer sitting up post-fajr, but that’s what works for me.


Ascertain what would be a suitable regime for you and make it work to your benefit.


According to Testtakingtips.com you shouldn’t study later than the time you usually go to sleep, you may fall asleep or be tempted to go to sleep, instead try studying in the afternoon or early evening. If you are a morning person try studying in the morning.




3. Wake up for Tahujjud


Cii’s resident Mufti, A.K.Hoosen strongly suggests waking up for Tahajjud as part of your preparation for studying.


It is reported from Abu Hurairah [R.A] that the Messenger of Allah [S.A.W] said: “Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night (Tahujjud), inquiring: ‘Who will call on me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?” [Bukhari and Muslim]




4. Feed your brain


The aspect of eating well whilst studying is often overlooked. For the most of us, it means going out of our way. But whilst this requires extra effort, it is ultimately for our own good.


Onislam.net suggests having a good breakfast full with protein such as eggs and milk, since this gives you energy and stimulates your brain. However, do not overeat, especially not at dinner time and do not snack while studying; dedicate a snack time during your breaks.


While it is essential to stay hydrated, beverages should be chosen well. Since too much caffeine can make you jittery, caffeine (and sugar) should be kept to a minimum.. Try to drink moderate amounts: 400 to 450 mg per day, the equivalent of 2 to 2.5 cups.




5. Read your relevant Dua’s






Mufti A.K suggests reading Surah Yaseen in the mornings.


Sayyidina Ata ibn Abu Rabah (R.A) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W) said, “If anyone recites Yaseen at the beginning of the day, his needs will be fulfilled.”(Darimee)






Recommended Dua’s by contemporary scholars:






Du’a before studying:


“Allahumma infa’nii bimaa ‘allamtanii wa’allimnii maa yanfa’uunii. Allahumma inii as’aluka fahmal-nabiyyen wa hifzal mursaleen al-muqarrabeen. Allahumma ijal leesanee ‘aiman bi dhikrika wa qalbi bi khashyatika. Innaka ‘ala ma-tasha’u qadeer wa anta hasbeeya wa na’mal wakeel.”


“Oh Allah! Make useful for me what you have taught me and teach me knowledge that will be useful to me. Oh Allah! I ask you for the understanding of the prophets and the memory of the messengers, and those nearest to you. Oh Allah! Make my tongue full of your remembrance and my heart with consciousness of you. Oh Allah! You do whatever you wish, and you are my availed and protector and best of aid.”


Du’a after studying:


“Allahumma inni astawdeeoka ma qara’tu wama hafaz-tu. Farudduhu ‘allaya inda hajati elayhi. Innaka ‘ala ma-tasha’-u qadeer wa anta hasbeeya wa na’mal wakeel“


“Oh Allah! I entrust you with what I have read and I have studied. Oh Allah! Bring it back to me when I am in need of it. Oh Allah! You do whatever you wish, you are my availed and protector and the best of aid.”


Du’a while studying something difficult:


“Allahumma la sahla illama ja-’altahu sahla anta taj ‘alu al hazana eza ma shi’ta sahal.”


“Oh Allah! Nothing is easy except what you have made easy. If you wish, you can make the difficult easy.”


Du’a for concentration:


“Salla-l-laahu alaa Muhammad wa aal-e Muhammad. Allahumma inni as’aluka yaa mudhakkira-l khayr wa faa’ilahu wa-l-aamira bihi dhakir-ni maa ansaani-hi-shaitan.”


“Blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad and his progeny. O Allah, I ask you, the one who mentions goodness and actualizes it and commands it, remind me of that whichshaitan makes me forget.”

Tags: Dua, Exams, matric, Study tips, Studying, university





Source : http://www.ciibroadcasting.com/2014/10/18/savvy-studying-the-shariah-way/

No comments:

Post a Comment